Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wacky Wednesday- Ode to Good TV

See, even when you are Stockholmed into the bike trainer, you cannot go it alone. Spinning your cranks in 170 cm circles is not good enough to pass the time. You must, seriously, must do something else. I would really love to have some sort of live entertainment. Perhaps there could be some scantily-clad, double x chromosome-type figures and a large pole mounted in my workout room. In this fantasy life, which I could not pull off in any universe, we'd both get a workout.

Alas, it's just not bound to happen. Therefore, I've got bad movies. I have this internet receiver that allows me to stream Netflix to my TV all through the air. Once in a while, my wireless signal goes askew. Having experienced the spinning pinwheel of death on multiple occasions, I have a backup plan.

In case you didn't know, popular culture used to have entertainment on shiny, silver discs called DVDs. DVDs magnetically record data, which can take the form of Excel spreadsheets, audio, and/ or video files. One major problem with the DVD is that it requires the use of a DVD Player. You cannot interpret the DVD information without one of these contraptions. They really have cornered the market here. I confess that I actually own a few of these DVDs and a DVD player.

Understand that these DVD players can be rather inexpensive. Mine cost $30. It's the DVDs themselves that gouge you. Each one can cost somewhere between $5 and $20. Some people buy these things on a regular basis and have vast collections. I, on the other hand, own, um, Ok, I've never counted. I have 12 different Star Wars discs. (I know, there's only 6 movies and 2 of them are barely worth watching while another... not so much.)

After the galaxy far, far away, I have the first 6 seasons of the Simpsons (I'm not rich enough to own more). I'm a big fan and watch the show as much as possible via syndication or live. If you ever get the chance to watch the Simpsons on live TV, do it. They don't broadcast live very often as it puts a tremendous strain on the animators but it's always amazing when they pull it off.

As I understand it, there are some who don't appreciate the cartoon genius of a show. Most people cannot get over the yellow hue of the character's skin. Plus, there's a stigma about the show. Some folks believe it's  _________ (I'm not going to pretend to know what people think. I barely know what I think.)

I implore you, if you are not a Simpsons fan, give it another try. They are currently on their 22nd season and you are way behind. You've got a lot of catching up to do. I'm here to help. There are 2 ways to go about incorporating all that sarcastic goodness. You could either buy/ rent the seasons one disc at a pop. This is a really good option.

If you are time constrained, might I suggest another avenue? You could watch the first 100 episodes simultaneously. This should get you started on your path to the Light Side of the Force.

No comments:

Post a Comment