Monday, November 12, 2012

Happy Veterans Day

There's this guy whose a friend of the family. I've known him all of my life. And, like most friends of the family, I actually KNOW very little about him. Here's some facts, at least what I think are facts:
-He's in the Army
-He's been in the Army ever since I was little
-He's been to bad places many times over
-He doesn't have to still be in the Army, he chooses to stay
-He may have graduated to a rank beyond private
I get a daily email message from him. This is to say that I'm on his jokes email list, meaning none of the messages are actually to me. One or two of his submissions have made the blog.

Here's an example of one of his joke pictures that have not yet worked its way into submission. The subject line of this message was, "So, you think you're having a bad day?"

Cringe Worthy

Anyway, this morning I received this completely unfunny message that I thought was worth sharing:

To all my friends,

If you like your freedom thank a Veteran.

Veterans Day, United States holiday honoring armed service veterans, observed on November 11th. It coincides with other holidays such as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day, which are celebrated in other parts of the world and also mark the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.)

Veterans Day is not to be confused with Memorial Day; Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving.

And you know what, he's right. I certainly don't do enough to thank those countless people that do important yet thankless jobs. I drive my car, browse the net, and live in the relative comfort that they have provided for me. 

So, to my friend, Thank You!

To all of those who choose to serve for our country, Thank You!

And, just so all of you bacon cheeseburger lovers know what you are getting, I'll leave you with another of his submissions.
Secret to a good bacon cheeseburger

No comments:

Post a Comment