Friday, February 18, 2011

The Lazy Triathlete

Last post before the big Oklahoma Road Trip. Packing/ decisions not quite done. Here are some thoughts on my lifestyle...
“And even if he's a lazy man – and the Dude was most certainly that, quite possibly the laziest in Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide”
- The Big Lebowski
These lines are part of the opening sequence of the classic Coens’ movie. If you haven’t seen this gem, stop reading right now, go rent it, watch, and come back. I’ll wait.

Here's a Simpson's quote on laziness for the rest of us while we wait
'Ah, relax. I don't wanna work. I'm so lazy, I took lessons on a player piano.' 
'Wow, that's really lazy'
-Said Larry Burns with Homer's reply.
Now that we’re all on the same page, I must admit that I am a lazy man. Not Dude lazy, he’s still got me beat. He wrote a check for less than a dollar. I've used the credit card for similar amounts. Still, I get dressed on a daily basis. I view The Dude as my next big challenge, right after Kona. While I’m training, I’m quite focused on the triathlon thing. When I’m not training, I gunning for the Dude. 

Take for example, my morning beverage. In a perfect world, I would not be making it myself. Since I cannot afford a butler, I am stuck concocting the brew myself. This morning I was using the microwave and I noticed that I punched in 9-0-start instead of 1-3-0-start. Both will cause the machine to run for the same amount of time (a minute and a half). It’s just that 90 is only 2 buttons while 130 is 3. You could translate this as 30% more efficient, but in reality, why press 3 buttons when 2 will give you the same result. You have to admit that refusing to punch one extra button on the microwave is pretty lazy.

Even more microwave evidence... If 2:30 is my goal time, I'll settle for 2:22 so that I don't have to lift my finger and find other buttons. I need to only find the 2 and press 3 times. Saves both time and energy.

FYI- one minute thirty-nine seconds is the maximum amount of time in the 2 digit configuration (99 seconds) should you be willing to increase your own personal efficiency.

I’m pretty sure that, if you ignore the triathlon thing, I'm lazier than you. Prove it. In what ways could you win the Dude award?

The Dude Abides!

P.S. The blog is neither evidence for or against my laziness, so don't bother pointing it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment