Wednesday, July 4, 2012

WW- Independence Day

I have to be honest. I love America. I love the 4th of July. I love fireworks.

First, as a sciencey guy, I am repeatedly amazed by the technology involved in making colorful, shapely things that go boom. How they can take some black powder invented millenia ago by the Chinese, smack it into a mortar, shoot it up in the air a couple of hundred feet, and have it appear in a flash of brilliance as the planet Venus is awe-worthy. 





Second, in America, we have the right to say (and type) whatever we want. And, apparently, our phones have the right to change those words to whatever they want.




We also have to right to bear arms. So we use that right to blow stuff up.

"Celebrate the independence of your nation by blowing up a small portion of it." -Convenience Store Clerk in the Simpsons.




When I was a kid, my dad had a friend who would supply him with bricks and bricks of firecrackers and grosses of bottle rockets. And, since I was a kid, I really meant that dad's friend supplied me with bottle rockets. Still on the kid thing, I was (am?) an idiot. Didn't me and my idiot neighbor friends have bottle rocket wars? We'd fire them at each other, using our front doors as 'forts', and score points based on how close we'd get to human flesh with more points for the rocket making it into another's house.

It could have been worse. (This statement should act as your disclaimer for the below video.)




No comments:

Post a Comment